- (1992) Future-event schemas and certainty about the future: Automaticity in depressives' future-event predictions. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 63, 711-723.
- (1991) Stereotyping based on individuating information: Trait and global components of sex stereotypes under attention overload. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 27, 26-47.
- (1991) One justified criticism plus three flawed analyses equals two unwarranted conclusions: A reply to Retherford and Sewell. American Sociological Review, 56, 159-165.
- (1990) Auto-motives: Preconscious determinants of social interaction. In E. T. Higgins & R. M. Sorrentino (Eds.), Handbook of motivation and cognition (Vol. 2, pp. 93-130). New York: Guilford.
- (1990) Goal ≠ Intention: Goal-directed thought and behavior are often unintentional. Psychological Inquiry, 1, 248-251.
- (1989) Conditional automaticity: Varieties of automatic influence on social perception and cognition. In J. Uleman & J. Bargh (Eds.), Unintended Thought. New York: Guilford.
- (1988) Automaticity of chronically accessible constructs in Person x Situation effects on person perception: It's just a matter of time. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 55, 599-605.
- (1988) Context-dependent automatic processing in depression: Accessibility of negative constructs with regard to self but not others. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54, 925-939.
- (1988) Automatic affect: Are one's moods, evaluations, and emotions out of control? American Behavioral Scientist, 31, 296-311.
- (1987) The role of consciousness in priming effects on categorization: Assimilation versus contrast as a function of awareness of the priming task. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 13, 411-429.
- (1986) Individual construct accessibility and perceptual selection. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 22, 293-311.
- (1986) The additive nature of chronic and temporary sources of construct accessibility. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 50, 869-878.
- (1985) Individual construct accessibility, person memory, and the recall-judgment link: The case of information overload. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 49, 1129-1146.
- (1985) Nature of priming effects on categorization. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 11, 59-69.
- (1984) Automatic and controlled processing of social information. In R. S. Wyer, Jr., & T. K. Srull (Eds.), Handbook of social cognition Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. (Vol. 1, pp. 1-41).